Skip to content
What’s commedia? Zanni will show you.
Commedia dell’arte is:
each commedia CHARACTER has its own mask.
In zanni zanni Lazzo, we perform in traditional masks that I made by hand:
You know these Guys.
Commedia dell’Arte characters burst into song, break into fistfights, tangle in lovers’ quarrels, elude & elope, slip out of chores & into mischief, always in hot pursuit of fun.
- Pantalone — Rich nobleman & old, lecherous, hypochondriac miser
- Tartaglia — Clerk & stuttering, skittish, ever-obedient yes-man
- Arlequino — Servant & dopey glutton always playing hooky from work
- Smeraldina — Maid & long-suffering, hard-loving tough cookie
- (think Marge Simpson & her sisters, Patty & Selma)
- Pulcinella — Shopkeeper & gullible, irate but tender-hearted helper
- Capitano — Knight Errant & semi-delusional, bragging coward
- (mash-up of Principal Skinner & Groundskeeper Willie)
- Dottore — Quack Doctor & drunken, pompous orator of fake vocabulary
- The Zanni — Dim-witted, quick-to-temper, slow-to-work types who regularly come to blows over who’s in charge
- (aka, Barney Gumble, Lenny & Carl, Chief Wiggum, Edna Krabappel)
fall 2016 shows forthcoming.